Welcome!!

Also, you can see my Tumblr Blog.

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Thank You Sir, May I Have Another!


Just when we thought we were done with the earthquake weekend extravaganza, we had another smaller one this morning. Who needs an alarm clock when you have an earthquake to wake you in the morning? This one was closer to the Tokyo area but was much weaker, 4.2M. I usually get an e-mail from the USGS when these happen and we can feel it but I think this one was out of the range that I have set on the website.


I think there needs to be a better way to display the center of an earthquake. Every time an earthquake is reported they display a point. I think that these must happen along a fault and should really be displayed along a line. Last year there was an earthquake in northern Japan that was very weak but sent vibrations from the top of Honshu Island all the way down to Tokyo (I talked about this with my co-workers here but no one seemed to be concerned about this but me). I'm not an expert but I think that displaying the earthquake as a line might give people some more information about what is actually happening.
I am definitely freaked out about these. The reactions I get from the people that live here is, "These are nothing to be worried about." I now understand how someone from Atlanta must feel when they see the snow in Detroit.

No comments: